Jan 23, 2010

What a Difference a Year Makes.....


One Year. Wow. It's hard to believe our little Henry-bug is one today! Words really can't express to you how glad I am it's 1/23/10 and not 1/23/09. It's been a hard year...let's just say! One year ago today I entered the hospital to deliver this little guy....running a fever and suffering from a sinus infection that had been lingering for a month and that I had already taken one antibiotic for. At 4:08 pm I gave birth to my biggest baby yet, feverish, hacking my head off, and exhausted after being up for 24 hours. He screamed solid for one hour. This may not sound like a big deal to you....."uh, Kat...babies cry." Yeah, but not ours. Ours are born quiet and just squeak and grunt. They don't scream. Well, apparently no one told Henry this. He then proceeded to stay away for almost 4 hours after birth. FOUR HOURS. Matt and I looked at each other and wondered if he'd ever go to sleep! The low-point of the day came late that night, when everyone had gone home, and I sobbed on the phone to the on-call OB begging him for another antibiotic to help me feel better. And so began a year-long journey for me. To expand, and grow as a mom, to learn things I thought I already knew, and to get rid of some of the pride of thinking I had done it "right" for the past four years with the other two. Henry changed me. Or rather, God used him to change me. Through the colic and reflux, the sleep issues, the severe post-partum depression, the health concerns with him, and so on.... I learned to relax a little, to let go of the schedule some (just some) and to trust God more. Today I celebrate surviving (Henry and Me!) a year of change and to reaching this milestone!


pictures to capture each month of Henry's life:
















































Happy Birthday big guy!! Here's to surviving the terrible two's with you!



























3 comments:

The Flukers said...

Happy Birthday to Henry! I know what you mean by the third born throwing you a loop! Hope 2010 gives you more laughs than tears! Love to y'all!

Lauren said...

I appreciate your honesty. Being a mommy is probably the toughest job on earth and our efforts mostly go unnoticed. Cooped up all day with little ones can wear on you, but I hope we can encourage each other to keep up the faith knowing that our hard work will one day be rewarded. I like what you said about God putting Henry in you life to change YOU. Its neat to think about how God's changing us through our marriages and children.

Ben and Bethany said...

and i bet ya'll will have a stronger bond because of it all :)

SUCH a cute boy though - that has to make it a little easier ;)