Jan 4, 2008

Blocks

Something is happening in the Maxey household. Something that has yet to happen since we had Will nearly three years ago. I have seen some changes in him in the past few weeks. Some changes that are encouraging to me and Matt. My biggest frustration in parenting Will has been that he has zero attention span and will not play with anything by himself. He spends at the most five minutes on an activity, and 4 1/2 of those are spent destroying the thing. But, finally, here we are. It started over Christmas with a new-found joy in his block set we've had for over a year. The spark was flamed even more as he spent time at my parents house with their block set which is even bigger and better than ours. So since we've arrived back at home, Will has spent literally countless hours playing and building and arranging and stacking. Building what he calls "tall towers", and "houses," and "trains." And heaven help you if you try to unstack or knock over one of his creations. Matt and I just sat on the couch last night as he did this: Looking at each other in amazement that it was actually quiet in our house. And the kids were awake!!!! Matt commented that he remembered doing things like this as a kid. Making and creating structures.
And not to leave out Annely Blake. I'm having to keep my eye on her a little closer now as she's not quite crawling but scooting and spinning around and getting things in her mouth. I think it's out to Toys-R-Us this week-end for a set of large wooden blocks. We've got a good thing going here!


No comments: